You Are A Badass – Jen Sincero: Andrew and I talked about this book extensively in our podcast, but I liked it so much I want to showcase the book a little more, especially some of Jen’s quotes. Bitch gives good sound bytes.
DISCOVERY: Recommended to me by one of Vincent’s friends and I got to borrow his copy. I’d show you a picture of said friend but my inbox does not need to transform into an ocean of nudes and marriage proposals for me to pass on.
You can buy it as a regular book for 11,99 and as an ebook on 9.99 on Bol.com (get the book, it’s cute and you can make notes in it.) I borrowed his copy but I also got myself the ebook version in iBooks so I could read more of it after I give it back – and so I could highlight quote and find them easily.
SUBJECT: How to live an awesome life using self help. How to be a badass is a good catchy title, but it doesn’t cover everything. This book is ALL self help. From your relationship with yourself, with others, with money to goals to subconscious and getting over your own bullshit. This book is Self Help 101 to 405 to Graduation Day.
KOOKINESS: Oh, a solid seven. This is like full on, Source Energy, Ego, Meditation, Thoughts Become Things. As I said on the Podcast, I needed more kooky self help in my life and this book reconnected me to that.
- “Our conscious mind thinks it’s in control, but isn’t. Our subconscious mind doesn’t think about anything, but is in control.”
- “In order to truly raise your vibration, you’ve got to believe that everything you want is available to you. And the best way to keep this belief strong is by staying connected to Source Energy.”
- “The trick [to manifesting] is to have both parts -energy and action- working in unison.”
- “[the Ego] is the part of us that’s driving the bus when we do thinks like sabotage our happiness by cheating on our husbands […], that refuses to follow our hearts and pursue an acting career because we’re terrified to be seen for who we really are, or that goes on and on about how great we are because we’re insecure and need lots of outside validation that we’re good enough. In other words, there’s more than one way to go on an ego trip.”
- “The Big Snooze [Ego] will do everything it can to stop you from changing and growing, especially since you’re attempting to obliterate the very identity that you an everyone else has come to know as ‘you’.”
- “All you have to do is make the choice to let go of everything you’re so attached to that’s not serving you.”
- “Stop talking about how busy you are. Focusing on what you enjoy about what you do and the spaces between the doing in between instead of feeling weighed down by it all.”
- “Some people are just too committed to their own dysfunction.”
- “You need to have a ten-ton gorilla of desire behind your decision or else you wimp out the second it gets hard.”
- “Decisions aren’t up for discussion.”
- “Making money isn’t only about the money, just as losing weight isn’t only about losing weight and finding your soul mate isn’t only about finding your soul mate. It’s about who you become and what you believe is possible for yourself.”
SELF HELP HIPSTER STAMP OF APPROVAL: Yes. Andrew told me her writing reminds me of me, which is a GREAT compliment to me. It’s true in the sense that I share her sense of humor and her no-nonsense, but Jen is a better writer than me.
This is a self help book as self help the genre is known for, in the right way, with the right writing.