(how it that for a motivational reminder. Write the next chapter of your life. Make it a good one.)
HI INTERNET FRIENDZ.
A Note To Self is basically something you (kind of) know, but that you sometimes need to be reminded of.
I thought I’d share some of my notes to self with you. I might make this a regular thing. I like the bite-size format of a note to self and it’s a good way to keep learning throughout the year. You can let me know what you think!
(Also, what is YOUR main note-to-self? The one that pops up every once in a while? Let me know in the comments, maybe I can learn vicariously through you. Cheers.)
1) You think it’s a good idea to skip a work-out when you’re busy. Because, you know, it seems efficient, it frees up some time, etc.
[Pretend-megaphone] YOU’RE WRONG. [/Pretend-megaphone]
You end up cranky and insufficient and not using that free time productively. How many more times do I have to do this before I realize I’m being a dumbass?
Go work out, RIGHT NOW. It doesn’t have to be long, it doesn’t have to be super intense: As long as you do it. Whatever your study schedule, your workload, your family life: Exercise anyway.
2) Stop checking your fucking email every hour, just take one (CONVENIENT) moment a day and answer ALL your fucking email straight away in one go. You’re not a surgeon-on call, an assistant for a Devil Wears Prada-esque boss or GossipGirl: You don’t have to be attached to your iPhone and Gmail accounts 24/7.
3) People are complicated and difficult and insufferable. Love them anyway, because you ALSO are complicated, difficult and insufferable and people love YOU too despite of that. Extend others the same courtesy.
4) Drink lots of this green juice made from kale, cucumber, apple, lemon and ginger. The Hulk of Green Juice.
5) When overwhelmed, make a to-do list. Set a timer and do at least ONE thing from the list.
6) Recognize the responsibility you have for other people. Be it your employer, employees, friends or family members, readers, students: You are what you are, partially because of all these people in your life. If they need you, be there for them.
7) When overwhelmed, eat a banana. I don’t know why, but it calms you down.
8) Be nice as often as you can, for as long as you can. When you find it is not getting you the required results, remember you can use those teeth usually displayed in your Prodent smile for biting too.
9) Having discpline pretty much means ‘being your own disciple’. Doing things that are important to you, or for you. See discipline as an act of self-love instead of denying yourself things.
10) Eat more chickpeas. Better than burgers in terms of protein and how we treat the planet, and especially delicious with cumin and cayenne pepper.
11) Your day is a collection of decision upon decision upon decision. Use your days to practice making good choices for you and your life. This concept eventually creates a life you can get behind one 100%.
12) Read inspiring blogs (or even better: books) instead of celebrity gossip. What Kim Kardashian wore yesterday doesn’t change anything in your life except that you lost a few minutes judging her outfit. Things that inspire you to do something in your own life, however, might actually have a (lasting) positive impact.
13) If you care more about the title of ‘writer’ than the actual activity of ‘writing’, you’re not actually a writer. Glue your ass to your chair, limit all distractions and fucking write.
14) You’re not as good as you think you are. Your ego is talking you up to make you feel good. That’s okay, as long as you keep reality-checking. Improve. Work harder. And stay humble.