Self Help Book Parade: 100 Ways…
Discovery: I think it was through Eva I stumbled upon Alexandra Franzen’s blog. I read this article, gulped down everything else she ever written, declared her amazeballs and that was that. After my new fandom and seeing a kick ass sneak peek of this e-book, I was on the look-out for it for WEEKS. If not months. I subscribed to her newsletter mostly so I could read it as soon as possible, although her awesomeness in my inbox was a definite reason to say subscribed.
You can buy ‘A 100 Ways To Play With Yourself’ here for 20$, and 5$ of the money will go to Woman’s Earth Alliance. You basically buy yourself a cute e-book and donate money to worthy charity. Win-win.
Um, yes please? Also, hilarious quote from the introduction also states that “if this book makes your life stupendously awesome, you’re welcome. If this book doesn’t serve you in the slightest, sorry — you can’t sue me.”
‘A 100 Ways To Play With Yourself’ is not a big read or a book about a certain self help topic. This is a fun collection of ways to play with yourself as well as including some other excercises and short columns by inspirational people.
Kookiness Scale (1-10): Okay, I’m thinking…a 4. Sometimes it’s a little kooky, like when she talks about adopting lamas from animal sanctuaries or when you read the poem called ‘Finger Painting’ but it’s always cute. And fun. And that’s what this book is all about: Playing, and having fun. Whether it’s focused on words, body or food, all the suggestions are mad cute. Some of you might think they are a little out there (rescueing an endangered language or aforementioned llama adopting) but there is a lot of inspiring material in there.
My favorite suggestions (without being too Spoiler Person about it in the process):
- Take an impromptu writing vacation
- Be deliberately decisive
- Think a NEW thought
- Be over-the-top grateful
- Model your exercise regime after a beloved (and badass) film & TV heroine!
- Also, this Moxie & Movement schedule she made where you have to flaunt your moxie and move your body in a way every day.
My favorite quotes: You have to understand…Alex Franzen is brilliant with the words. In an Alice in Wonderland kind of way. She comes up with the best stuff, thinking up supercool phrases so you end up with the most vibrant and crazy reading. Everything she writes is like being over at an Inspirational Mad Hatter’s Tea Party.
- “I believe that PLAY is a necessity. It keeps us creative, curious, flexible and prolific.”
- “Play with your MIND: Brain-teasers, what-iffery, and neuro-linguistic finagling to flip your perception.”
- “Play with your REALITY: A gargantan glitterbomb of playful suggestions to spike your curiosity, spark your creativity, lighten your heart, loosen your rules and sizzle-fy your whole reality.”
- “(About FreeRice.Com) Digital philanthropy for word-freaks and English geeks. Get into it.”
You should buy this book if…:
- You like a lot of sparkly words that make you feel all excited to do stuff.
- You’ve been in a rut for a while and need some help getting out of it.
- You want a lot of suggestions to ‘play with yourself!’
Self Help Hipster Stamp of Approval: Absolutely. This is one of those e-books I come back to every once in a while to refresh and pick up a trick to try for that day or that week. The writing is fun and quirky, and I like a lot of Alexandra’s suggestions. Now if you excuse me, I need to get my moxie (red lipstick) and movement (yoga class) for this Tuesday on!