(Apart from the seagulls in Finding Nemo, this shark has got to be the most hilarious flying thing I’ve ever seen)
Hi kids! Are you ready for a tale of two fair maidens and their journey to a land far far away with their knights? Put in other words: Do you want to read how Lin and I spent a weekend in Oostende (Belgium) with our boyfriends? An Oostende weekend away?
We were invited by VVV Oostende to spent a night in Oostende and check out the town.
And this…is our story.
Me: “God, the weather is shit here. I need to document this in case we end up in one of those apocalyptic storm type movies.”
Will: “I’m just going to frown uncomfortably as I usually do when you get the camera out.”
Lin: “Ah. Look at my peasant making pictures.”
G: “DAZZLING SMILE ACTIVATED.”
At the Kombuis for lunch.
Me: “I am going to make up things that you haven’t literally said to help the story, ok?”
Lin: “Ok, I’ll start.Even though this place looks like a crack house from the outside, I feel confident to recommend it to anyone who goes to Oostende! These mussels are amazing!”
Will: “So are the fries!”
G: “And the mayonaise too!”
Me: “Okay, great. Oh hey, wine.”
Me: “I am never leaving this apartment ever again!! And you can’t make me!!!”
Will: “Come on, we’re going for a walk on the beach.”
Me: “Yeah, ok.”
Me: “Wow, babe, your hair. I guess PUNK ISN’T DEAD!”
Will: “Can you not.”
Me: “Whatevs. I’m adorable.”
Me: “OH HEY COLORFUL THINGS ARE HAPPENING.”
Will: “Honey, come on. 240 pictures of a gigantic fluorescent green caterpillar seems a little excessive.”
Me: “BUT LOOK AT IT.”
(There was a kite tournament going on of some sort and I was amazed how great the teams were. The wind was super duper strong but they did this synchronised routine to music with their kites! Quite impressive and fun to watch.)
Me: “Do you ever wonder when the Internet is going to find out we actually hate each other?”
Lin: “Just pose for the fucking photo opp, you peasant.”
Me: “Whatevs. I have champagne.”
Lin: “Do my eyes scream “HELP ME” to you? Because I think they do.”
Me: “The only reason I’m smiling is that I know I can stab you with my fork later.”
After this dinner (which was at ‘t Groote Guys), we had a few drinks in a couple of bars we found via FourSquare. I don’t remember their names. Or their location. Sorry. Good luck finding your way through all the drunk people and hysterical bachelor(ette) parties.
When we woke up the next morning, it was back to The Perfect Storm weather outside so we went to Mu.Zee, which is a modern art museum.
Me: “Ha. Bunch of nerds looking at art.”
Will: “Ha. Nerd looking at art.”
Me: “If I stand here and stare long enough, people might actually think I know anything about this kind of stuff.”
G: “I feel like it’s staring back at us.”
Lin: “I’m freaked out. Let’s go back to Rotterdam.”
Everyone: “Yeah, ok.”
- The apartments we stayed in were to die for. I genuinely will be thinking of this apartment for life.
- The food was really great too. Apparently it takes you a little while to locate these treasures, but they have good restaurants all over.
- We just had a really good time hanging out with the four of us.
- We were lucky to have a couple of hours of sun on Saturday.
- The modern art museum was really interesting. Cinema Joostens is quite cool (and terrifying.) We didn’t have time for all the cultural activities you can do in Oostende, but apparently there’s quite a lot that’s worth checking out.
- We had terrible weather most of the time we were there, which didn’t do anything for the general vibe of the town. I thought it was gloomy and the people were slightly unfriendly.
- Many people have told me that Oostende is WAY prettier when it’s sunny. Yeah, ok. To be honest, it was sunny for a couple of hours on Saturday and that didn’t change the old school ugly apartment buildings. Sorry.
Nevertheless, it might be great when it’s summer. You can walk to the beach wherever you are in the town and it’s probably buzzing with (happy) people when it’s hot and sunny.
Additionally, I am very grateful that I got to spend a weekend with my three best friends in two amazing apartments. Therefore, a big thank you to VVV Oostende who invited us for an Oostende weekend, and a big, big, big thank you to Leopold 5 for hosting us.