Aaaaaaand it’s February. I’m on the couch with coffee and Dexter episodes right now and since I am not good for anything else tonight, I’d figure I’d try and write a Month in Review thing.
Why? Let’s see if I can do it without boring you to death. Also, I figured that if I want to do a year recap at the end of the year I can just link back to all the different months. My creativity to be lazy knows no bounds. Ok let’s go.
NEW YEAR Started out with my babe Lin and our boyfriends and a lot of champagne. Accidentally shattered a champagne glass (and was more concerned with the fact that there was less champagne to drink than with the fact there was glass on the floor. Priorities, people.)
The next day, this heartfelt connection with alcohol turned into a nasty divorce. With custody battles over my mental health and several of my organs. I spent it on the couch in recovery-mode, watching Marvel movies with Manfriend, indulging in my hang-over cure: Eating ALL the foods.
YOGA Second best hang-over cure? Exercise. On January 2nd I drove to the yoga studio and did a very easy-going class. It was then that I decided to do the Girl Does Yoga series in order to rebalance and normalize my yoga practice.
It’s not always easy. I sometimes find myself unnecessarily procrastinating on getting my ass to the studio, but it is getting better. Once said ass is in said yoga studio, everything is great. It’s about showing up, and I’m learning how to show up in the good way.
PILATES Discovered Pilates Place Rotterdam and Pilates, exercise more focused on training strength and your core while simultaneously stretching. I’m going to take a Reformer class there every once in a while because I find it a really fun and challenging work-out, that lasts only 50 minutes and that is 5 minutes away from work. Practical and saves time.
WORK Finding my way around my new duties and responsibilities, while slowly moving away from my regular tasks. It’s going pretty well. I am going to miss my students for a while, but I still can’t believe I get to do what I’m doing, because it combines everything I love. Which is also terrifying because what if I mess something up oh God oh God be right back nervous breakdown.
BOOKS Within the first chapter I was completely captivated by Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It’s been a long time since I actually stayed up to read, but for this book I totally did. Very heavy but brilliant and surprising. I’ve also finished Neil Gaiman’s American Gods (weird but good) and a collection of his short stories, but I’m still working on the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins — Not really a light read, that one.
(My grandmother baked me cookies and if that’s not the cutest effing thing then I don’t know what is)
- SOMEBODY STOLE MY MUG AT WORK. Which is not a big deal, but I did really want it back. After all it fits an ocean of tea and it is mine. After being on the look-out for two days (aka staring creepily into other people’s offices) I FOUND IT. Then this happened.
- I was obsessed with blue cheese for two weeks straight and had it every single day during that time.
- Drank a lot of Celestian Seasoning’s Lemon Green Tea and Sleepytime Peach Tea. These were sent to me for a review and although I LOVE them and I’ve been guzzling the stuff like a dehydrated camel, I’m still working up the guts to dedicate one post entirely to reviewing…tea. Lord knows I can’t do it as good as Iris did. So if anyone knows any alternatives for “This tea is great” that’d be super.
- Went to FortyDegrees and had lunch with Huub after. Having lunch with your old yoga teacher who is equal parts awesome, interesting and intimidating? Highly recommended.
- I had a massage at TensionTamers yesterday, which was great and very relaxing. BUT, while I was getting massaged I thought about Monica from Friends getting massaged and I was trying really hard not to laugh, so OBVIOUSLY next thing I knew I was thinking of EVERYTHING funny that EVER happened in the history of the world. Long story short at one point I fucking LOST IT. Michiel probably thinks I’m completely insane. Oh well. It’s always easier to get that revelation out of the way early.
I’m very excited for February.
I get to go to Paris with Lin and EAT/DRINK EVERYTHING, do a lot of yoga, work a lot and write when I can. Oh, and go read the Fault in Our Stars when I’m ready for my next emotional breakdown over literature. All in good time.
Have a great weekend!