After the slew of BE PRODUCTIVE AND EFFICIENT/AMERICAN DREAM books Andrew and I have been reviewing for our Podcast, I wanted to read something totally different.
Something all woo-woo and cute and ‘oh my god the Universe is conspiring to give me everything’
So I did. Here’s my book review of Light is the New Black.
DISCOVERY: After reading Radical Self Love by Gala Darling, I found Light is the New Black in my Recommended Reads in my Kindle App and went like “eh, sounds spiritual and fluffy, bring it on.”
*Affiliate links, guys. You click, you browse, you buy, I get a small fee because my link brought you there.
SUBJECT: I’m gonna try to type this without rolling my eyes so hard they leave their sockets out of sheer velocity, this book focuses on being…
Sorry, I have a really hard time with that term. Some words just immediately bring out the cynic in me. I HATE this term. HATE IT.
To me, ‘lightworker’ somehow makes spiritual women sound both incredibly pretentious AND like we’re supposed to be on a construction site as lamps with 32 000 LUX. Which is a feat to simultaneously accomplish.
Can’t we just say we’re trying to be enlightened and awesome at the same time?
Anyway. This book is written by a woman who embraces her intuition, spiritual side and wants to teach us how to do that too. It’s cool because she describes things a lot of us go through (ignoring our intuition, trying to take care of ourselves, trying to make the right decisions) and also makes her book a guide to be more intuitive, spiritual and in touch with our soul.
It’s divided in 5 parts, from about herself, to how we can become more ourself, work our light, living our truth and being the light.
KOOKINESS (1-10): 5, as Light is the New Black is very “trust your soul” and “trust the Universe.” Step into the light and all that.
Which I love, and need from time to time. But if you’re a bit bitter/moody/grumpy, that can be too kooky.
- “As Steve Jobs said, “it’s only in looking back that the dots begin to connect”, but first, you gotta get busy creating some dots.”
- “Don’t squeeze your amazingness into a square box. Take all the space you need and spill over the sides.”
- “Every decision we make either takes us closer or further away from ourselves.”
- “Feel good or feel not as good. Brightness or darkness. Avoidance or coming home.”
- “Next time you are faced with a decision, ask yourself the simple question: Which solution lights me up?”
- “Dont assume your message isn’t relevant until someone else says it is. Don’t assume your message isn’t relevant until someone else deems it to be.”
- “Our likes, shares, posts, pics, pins and tweets: all of it is energy and it is being constantly cast out into the ether – and then multiplied over and over again at the speed of light.”
- “In every moment we can consciously choose what energy we contribute: The words don’t matter but the energetic intent behind them does.”
- “The person you long to be is already inside you. You do YOU.”
- “I don’t share to teach or convince others, I share to make those who feel the same as me feel less alone.”
- “Your soul is always calling you into the direction of your wholeness, flow, dreams and purpose (and everything else). But you have to show up to hear it.”
- “Show up to the calling of your soul and the Universe will open its arms to support you.”
SHH STAMP OF APPROVAL: Light is the New Black is nothing revolutionary, but cute and with some inspiring bits here and there. A welcome break from all the other stuff I was reading.
So yes, but only for all my other “lightworkers” out there, and maybe the sceptical but more open-minded readers. Otherwise you’re gonna have a bad time.
Just like I did during this blog post having to write the word ‘lightworker’ three times.
YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK IF…
- You need to get more in touch with your own soul
- You want to read an inspiring story about enlightenment, even though the terminology is somewhat nauseating here and there.
- You can deal with talk of Lightwork, Souls, Universe and Energy.
- You want to become a better, more enlightened person
- You like work of Gabrielle Bernstein such as Spirit Junkie (which is my favorite)
So there you have it. Light is the New Black is lovely light spiritual material for a random read.